Monday, July 11, 2016

Command Me to Come to You

It has been a while since my last post. When I am not writing, I miss it terribly. And yet, I am taking a moment to get some ideas out of my head and none of them are exiting. I actually need them to tumble out of there so I can concentrate on my paralegal studies.

A couple weeks ago, I was reminded of 1 Peter 5:10 which says,
10 And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. 11 To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.

We spent all last week going places around Austin, La Grange, San Antonio, and Dallas with company from out of town. Now, it is back to school work and the day to day.

Hebrews 4:15 & 16 just popped into my head. It says,
15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

Have you ever tried to describe something to an individual who has never experienced it before? In a movie, there is a scene where an adolescent boy tries to “show” colors to a blind girl (Mask, 1985). I believe this is a great illustration of how getting someone else to understand what it is like to “walk in our shoes” or to “see” can be quite a challenge...and vise versa. Thankfully, for us, Jesus experienced the flesh. He wept, He was tempted, He was despised and rejected, He was tortured, etc. So, He is able to empathize with us in what we are going through, ourselves, and then some!

This past weekend, one of the pastors spoke on Matthew 14. The pieces of scripture that struck me the most, in this season, were and still are Matthew 14:28 & 29. Jesus invites us to come. I feel we do not desire God on our own...He calls to us (Romans 9). Further, I pray each of us may have the wisdom to recognize His voice and to follow Him through the narrow door (John 10). Jesus says, “Come,” and when we doubt and are afraid, He reaches out His hand so that we may grab it and feel secure. How awesome is that?!

28 And Peter answered him, "Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water." 29 He said, "Come." So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, "Lord, save me." 31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?" (Matthew 14:28-31. ESV.)

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails