Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Prayer in the Holy Spirit: Part One

One subject has been repeated to me a couple times, this week and last, so I feel it is one I should research out. What does God’s word say about the “baptism of the Holy Spirit” and “prayer in the Spirit”? (Side note: I am using Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem as a secondary authority and the Word of God, scriptures, as primary authority on this matter. This investigation is to answer questions I have regarding my faith. I encourage all who may read this to research this themselves, also, in the scriptures. The answers you seek, and the understanding, might be different from my own.)

1. “The Holy Spirit will bestow or withdraw blessing according to whether or not he is pleased by the situation he sees.” (Systematic Theology, p. 647). Examples:
32 And John bore witness: "I saw the Spirit descend from heaven like a dove, and it remained on [Jesus]. (John 1:32. ESV.)

34 For he whom God has sent utters the words of God, for he gives the Spirit without measure. (John 3:34. ESV.)

25 And the Spirit of the Lord began to stir [Samson] in Mahaneh-dan, between Zorah and Eshtaol. (Judges 13:25. ESV.)

6 Then the Spirit of the Lord rushed upon [Samson], and although he had nothing in his hand, he tore the lion in pieces as one tears a young goat. But he did not tell his father or his mother what he had done…. 19 And the Spirit of the Lord rushed upon him, and he went down to Ashkelon and struck down thirty men of the town and took their spoil and gave the garments to those who had told the riddle. In hot anger he went back to his father's house. (Judges 14:6, 19. ESV.)

14 When [Samson] came to Lehi, the Philistines came shouting to meet him. Then the Spirit of the Lord rushed upon him, and the ropes that were on his arms became as flax that has caught fire, and his bonds melted off his hands. (Judges 15:14. ESV.)

20 And she said, "The Philistines are upon you, Samson!" And he awoke from his sleep and said, "I will go out as at other times and shake myself free." But he did not know that the Lord had left him. (Judges 16:20. ESV.)

14 Now the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and a harmful spirit from the Lord tormented him. (1 Samuel 16:14. ESV.)

10 But they rebelled
and grieved his Holy Spirit;
therefore he turned to be their enemy,
and himself fought against them.
(Isaiah 63:10. ESV.)

This point alone is huge for me! There have been times in my life when I have wondered, “Where were you, Lord?” And, according to these scriptures, now I know! There are amazing times when the Spirit of the Lord stirs within me and other, not so awesome moments, when I am walking in the flesh or have offended the Spirit and He is not near me. Have you ever noticed something like this in your own life?

As I continue on this journey to better understand the Holy Spirit, it has become clear to me the information is vast and the scripture quite “meaty”. It is going to take more than just one post to address my questions! As you can see, I have barely scratched the surface. So, I look forward to continuing this, tomorrow.


(Source: Grudem, Wayne. Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine. 1994, 2000. Grand Rapids, MI.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails