Thursday, August 04, 2016

Prayer in the Holy Spirit: Part Two

Yesterday, I started a study regarding the Holy Spirit. Two things have been weighing heavily upon me, as of late, and I desire some answers. I am using Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem as secondary authority and God’s word, the scriptures, as primary authority on the matter. (Side note: This investigation is to answer questions I have regarding my faith. I encourage all who may read this to research this themselves, also, in the scriptures. The answers you seek, and the understanding, might be different from my own.)

2. What does God’s word say about “baptism in (or with) the Holy Spirit”?

I am going to begin with scripture which specifically mentions “baptism in (or with) the Holy Spirit” and go from there:
22 And when [Jesus] had said this, he breathed on [the disciples] and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. (John 20:22. ESV.)

4 And while staying with them [Jesus] ordered them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, he said, "you heard from me; 5 for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."... 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth." (Acts 1:4-5, 8. ESV.)

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. (Acts 2:4. ESV.)

16 And I remembered the word of the Lord, how he said, 'John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.' (Acts 11:16. ESV.)

12 But when they believed Philip as he preached good news about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women…. 14 Now when the apostles at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent to them Peter and John, 15 who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 for he had not yet fallen on any of them, but they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they laid their hands on them and they received the Holy Spirit. (Acts 8:12, 14-17. ESV.)

1 And it happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the inland country and came to Ephesus. There he found some disciples…. 6And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying. (Acts 19:1, 6. ESV.)

“There are only seven passages in the New Testament where we read of someone being baptized in the Holy Spirit.” (Systematic Theology, p. 766.)
1 "I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. (Matthew 3:11. ESV.)

8 I have baptized you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit." (Mark 1:8. ESV.)

16 John answered them all, saying, "I baptize you with water, but he who is mightier than I is coming, the strap of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. (Luke 3:16. ESV.)

33 I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, 'He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.' (John 1:33. ESV.)

5 for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now." (Acts 1:5. ESV.)

16 And I remembered the word of the Lord, how he said, 'John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.' (Acts 11:16. ESV.)

13 For in one Spirit we were all baptized [en heni pneumati...ebaptisthemen] into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit. (1 Corinthians 12:13. ESV.)

Grudem notes, regarding 1 Corinthians 12:13, “a very closely parallel expression” is found in 1 Corinthians 10:2
2 and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea,
“It is not that there were two locations for the same baptism, but one was the element in which they were baptized and the other was the location in which they found themselves after the baptism. This is very similar to 1 Corinthians 12:13: the Holy Spirit was the element in which they were baptized, and the body of Christ, the church, was the location in which they found themselves after that baptism.” (For a clearer understanding of this please see Systematic Theology, p. 768.)

Well, we are plugging along one nugget at a time but still have a long way to go! The study continues tomorrow!

(Source: Grudem, Wayne. Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine. 1994, 2000. Grand Rapids, MI.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails