Friday, October 07, 2016

Hurricane Matthew: This Far You Shall Come and No Further

As Hurricane Matthew began its pounding on the state of Florida, my stomach was nearly in knots. Throughout the day my prayers, at the throne of God’s grace, were for His mercy. Hurricane Matthew had already tormented Haiti, Cuba, Jamaica, the Dominican Republic, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, and the Bahamas. The death toll is up to at least 276...precious souls that are gone from here...all because of this monstrous storm.

As the hours marched onward, yesterday, and into the early morning hours, I watched social networks and the weather channel website for any clues as to how the storm was affecting those I hold dear. Standing on the sidelines for this one was, at times, indescribable. In a weird way, I wanted to be there with my family and friends. More so, I wanted them here and safe with me! Moments in the day, tears stung my eyes as I allowed myself to be swept away by thoughts of the sheer size and power of the storm. It could have demolished everything. But, by the grace of God, as a friend of mine in south Florida said, they "dodged a bullet".

All was quiet after 3am EST (eastern standard time) which told me there was nothing to report. The social networks and weather channel website stood relatively silent as Hurricane Matthew made its way through during the night hours. Some, who did not have to evacuate, slept on their couches, others on air mattresses, and all were uncertain what the morning light would reveal. I doubt anyone directly affected got much sleep. My hope is always in the Lord but fear did creep in as to what the morning would hold.

With much thankfulness and praise, many south Floridians sound as though they are doing well. They made it safely through the night, praise God! Now, I wait to hear from family members in north Florida as they ride out the hurricane. My family members on the east coast of the state have evacuated west and I pray their home is still standing, with minimal damage, when they return to it!

Thank you, God, for Your mercy!
8 "Or who shut in the sea with doors
when it burst out from the womb,
9 when I made clouds its garment
and thick darkness its swaddling band,
10 and prescribed limits for it
and set bars and doors,
11 and said, 'Thus far shall you come, and no farther,
and here shall your proud waves be stayed'?
(Job 38:8-11. ESV.)

(Photo Information.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails