Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Do We Have a Spirit That Can Exist Separate from Our Body?

This is a bit off topic from yesterday but my kiddos, or maybe it was just one of them, told me I should try making videos...or at least one video. Maybe they meant like a vlog or a Youtuber video. I don’t know, but I do know I am really not that great at it. Besides, I am a writer...not an artist, not an animator, not a cinematographer, etc. How would my videos go? I would not do an animated series nor would a video of just me talking be of any interest...boring! Not to mention… What in the world would I talk about? I’m just me. I have a blog which hardly anyone ever reads, I’m sure. I thoroughly enjoy writing however I do not have a book published or anything. I am not a professional athlete, nor an actor… Okay well, I am, or was, an athlete but not a professional one. I do enjoy doing theater work but I am not a celebrity or well known anything, really. I’m just me.

I blog about faith, God and Jesus, the bible, life, whatever I am studying at university at the time, parenting, travel, etc. And, people who do videos regularly have the proper equipment for it, like a professional microphone...though it is my understanding some Youtubers record the audio to their videos in a closet. Okay, maybe I’ll try that tip. I don’t even have a “hook”, something to get people interested in whatever it is I am going to say...which I still have not figured out.

Okay, back to yesterday’s topic.

When it comes to the “spirit” or “soul”, I use these terms interchangeably, I agree a person continues to exist after he or she dies. His or her spirit “departs” (Genesis 35:18) from his/her body. Scripture to support this is:

5 Into your hand I commit my spirit;
you have redeemed me, O Lord, faithful God.
(Psalm 31:5. ESV.)

43 And he said to him, "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise."...

46 Then Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!" And having said this he breathed his last.
(Luke 23:43 & 46. ESV.)

59 And as they were stoning Stephen, he called out, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." (Acts 7:59. ESV.)

23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. 24 But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. (Philippians 1:23-24. ESV.)

8 Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. (2 Corinthians 5:8. ESV.)

23 and to the assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, (Hebrews 12:23. ESV.)

9 When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the witness they had borne….

4 Then I saw thrones, and seated on them were those to whom the authority to judge was committed. Also I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for the testimony of Jesus and for the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.
(Revelation 6:9, 20:4. ESV.)

Matthew 10:28 states,
28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Romans 8:16 states,
16 The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,

And, Acts 17:16 reads,
16 Now while Paul was waiting for them at Athens, his spirit was provoked within him as he saw that the city was full of idols.

In his book Systematic Theology, Wayne Grudem states, “Scripture is very clear that we do have a soul that is distinct from our physical bodies, which not only can function somewhat independently of our ordinary thought processes (1 Corinthians 14:14; Romans 8:16), but also, when we die, is able to go on consciously acting and relating to God apart from our physical bodies.” (Grudem, Wayne. Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine. Grand Rapids, MI. 1994, 2000. P. 482.)
14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful. (1 Corinthians 14:14. ESV.)

16 The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, (Romans 8:16. ESV.)

Grudem goes on to say, “...there will be a time between our death and the day Christ returns when our spirits will temporarily exist apart from our physical bodies.” (Grudem, Wayne. Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine. Grand Rapids, MI. 1994, 2000. P. 483.)

Okay, so we have a spirit that can exist and relate to God apart from our physical body. My next research question is, what happens to the spirit after the body dies? Does it go straight to heaven? Does it sleep? Does it wander the earth? We shall see. To be continued...

(Photo Information.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails