Monday, November 28, 2016

Spirits Haunting Eight Mile Road, Stockton, CA

When I lived in Rio Vista, CA, from 2001 to 2012, we were just a short jaunt away from Stockton, CA and, the said to be haunted, Eight Mile Road. Infact, we often times traveled Eight Mile Road between 2001 and about 2003 or 2004. We generally stayed at the west end of the street and had no need to venture past the 99 freeway, heading east.

Recently, it has come to my attention there are stories circulating of three “spirits” causing havoc on Eight Mile Road east. According to some, there are two Native American “spirits”, one child and one woman, and one “lady in white” who seems to cause the most ruckus.

First, I want to be clear, I follow the bible’s view of “spiritual warfare”, “demons”, “angels”, etc. One article I read about Eight Mile Road showed illustrated pictures of each “spirit”. The Native American woman was represented as peaceful, maybe sad, and beautiful. The other two, the “lady in white” and the Native American child, were pictured with demonic faces. I do not know the background story of these two or why an artist would show them in such a way, other than the write up about how the “lady in white” startles drivers and could cause an accident. I believe it is fair to say other articles, shows, etc. might shed some more light on this.

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. (Ephesians 6:12. ESV.)

As I was reading about David and King Saul in 1 Samuel, I came across a verse that mentions a woman calling on the spirit of Samuel and King Saul having a conversation with the spirit of Samuel. 1 Samuel 28:8-19 states,
8 So Saul disguised himself and put on other garments and went, he and two men with him. And they came to the woman by night. And he said, "Divine for me by a spirit and bring up for me whomever I shall name to you." 9 The woman said to him, "Surely you know what Saul has done, how he has cut off the mediums and the necromancers from the land. Why then are you laying a trap for my life to bring about my death?" 10 But Saul swore to her by the Lord, "As the Lord lives, no punishment shall come upon you for this thing." 11 Then the woman said, "Whom shall I bring up for you?" He said, "Bring up Samuel for me." 12 When the woman saw Samuel, she cried out with a loud voice. And the woman said to Saul, "Why have you deceived me? You are Saul." 13 The king said to her, "Do not be afraid. What do you see?" And the woman said to Saul, "I see a god coming up out of the earth." 14 He said to her, "What is his appearance?" And she said, "An old man is coming up, and he is wrapped in a robe." And Saul knew that it was Samuel, and he bowed with his face to the ground and paid homage.

15 Then Samuel said to Saul, "Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?" Saul answered, "I am in great distress, for the Philistines are warring against me, and God has turned away from me and answers me no more, either by prophets or by dreams. Therefore I have summoned you to tell me what I shall do." 16 And Samuel said, "Why then do you ask me, since the Lord has turned from you and become your enemy? 17 The Lord has done to you as he spoke by me, for the Lord has torn the kingdom out of your hand and given it to your neighbor, David. 18 Because you did not obey the voice of the Lord and did not carry out his fierce wrath against Amalek, therefore the Lord has done this thing to you this day. 19 Moreover, the Lord will give Israel also with you into the hand of the Philistines, and tomorrow you and your sons shall be with me. The Lord will give the army of Israel also into the hand of the Philistines."
Further digging into this scripture is needed for me to have a better understanding of it.

The disciples thought Jesus was a ghost in Matthew 14:25-27 which states,
25 And in the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea. 26 But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, "It is a ghost!" and they cried out in fear. 27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, "Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid."
And again in Luke 24:36-39 which states,
36 As they were talking about these things, Jesus himself stood among them, and said to them, "Peace to you!" 37 But they were startled and frightened and thought they saw a spirit. 38 And he said to them, "Why are you troubled, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? 39 See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me, and see. For a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have."

To continue on this topic, I will look to John Piper, maybe John MacArthur, and Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem to dig a little deeper and research a bit further. To be continued...

(Photo information.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails